Published on January 10th, 2016.
The pocket knife dates back to the first century when the Romans invent it. It was a handy utility tool with endless uses such as cutting cloth, meat, and many other uses or just whittling a piece of wood. However, the pocket knife slowly gave way to the sheath knife as a more favorable alternative. It wasn’t until the 16th century that the folding pocket knife began making a comeback. It became so popular that men of all walks were carrying one including businessmen, farmers, lawyers to name a few. The versatile pocket knife was once again being used for a variety of jobs, even eating on the go.
Throughout American history, the Pocket knife has been an essential tool carried by soldiers and sailors. During the American Revolution, New Hampshire and New York required their militias to carry pocket knives. George Washington had one on his person at all times. The pocket knife became standard issue for American GIs during WWII.
Though men have been carrying pocket knives for centuries, modern times have seen an increase in security in airports and a variety of buildings which has led to the disappearing pocketknife. But such minor obstacles should not be reason enough to stop carrying the reliable pocket knife altogether.
A pocket knife used to be as essential to a man as his wallet and keys. How many times have you been in a situation where you wished you had a knife. The following are just a few instances of how handy a pocket knife really is.
Use a pocket knife for:
- 1. A box opener.
- 2. Cutting string, tape or rope.
- 3. Slicing fruit especially apples and eating them by slicing it into pieces and eat them off the blade, safely of course.
- 4. You can use your finger to open a letter like most, but why when a pocket knife is so much more convenient.
- 5. As a weapon though not the most effective, but it’s better than nothing.
- 6. Camping is where a pocketknife is a must have. Sharpening a stick to a point for stabbing your prey (meaning your hot dog) is a must.
The three common designs of pocket knives are the multi-purpose knife having scissors, can openers, tweezers, leather punchers, and even screwdrivers, the jack knife has a hinge at one end with two or more blades and the pen knife has hinges on both ends of the handle with multiple blades. Choosing the right pocket knife is simply based on your needs.